Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Final List

Again stealth mode is ON so I am putting in a few schools that I am finally not apping to, but did consider once:

Kellogg (Northwestern) – Absolute dream school. Near Chicago, big city cosy burb vibe – pro . Teamwork oriented school – pro. Killer reputation in Marketing – pro. Great acads great profs – pro, near a main fin center which is important for the other half in case of relocation – pro Chicago is colder than a witch’s ***** in the winter’s -only con I can think of.

Chicago GSB – So I attended the NY event for this school and I am sorry, for all the brand name they have built off late, the alums ( technically a few of the alums, but u know about the rotten apple in the barrel ) have no reason to be coming off quite as snooty as they did! I loved the adcom director though, she seemed like a sweety! Doesn’t mean I don’t think this is a reach and that she won’t cut me down to size in an instant in an interview. Chicago city life – pro, IMBA –pro, excellent faculty –pro. No sense of school community (don’t fight me on this one folks! I just say them as I see them) –con, once gaain witch’s t***** -con


Fuqua (Duke) - smaller school very tight community – pro, great profs and courses- pro, strong in marketing –pro, great “feel” for me ( totally intangible I know) – pro, Decent ranking, rising steadily thru years –pro
School in freaking middle of whooseville – Con, specially for JB ( significant other henceforth called JB).

Darden (Virginia) – almost exactly as above with addition of one tiny funny fact. I was first interested in the school and impressed by the number of student bloggers here!

Stern ( NYU) - NY NY NY –pro, great opportunities for JB – pro, I know a lot of the alums, they are great ppl – pro, great fin structure which I’ll need to get a good business education – pro, so-so marketing program – con. Again very popular city so most students apply to this school – con.


Columbia – almost the same as above except one big pro – SNOOTY as all hell!

Haas ( UC Berkley) – West coast is warm – pro, great school, great mktg prog, great acads –pro, loads of opportunities even in finance if JB shifts –pro, did I mention the weather :D
Coast to coast travel or long distance relationship of JB gets jobs here – con, 3 decent school on whole west cost where everyone will apply to –con.

Johnson (Cornell) – great small school community, I know a couple of current students there and they know everyone in their program –pro, great finance classes – pro, again close to NY and JBs possible job – pro, great immersion program which I think is essential for job switchers – pro, Ithaca is beautiful in Summer –pro. Winter sucks –con, Ithaca can get a bit whooville like too – con.

Tepper ( CMU) – great small school again with good community vibe –pro. Very good analytical program, good in finance and marketing –pro, near east coast stuff –pro, great support structure for Women ( my opinion) – pro. Pittsburgh –a wee bit of the con, maybe too analytical –con.


McCombs( Texas ) – No one likes saying this and the adcom HATES hearing this but everyone has a safe school. Texas is mine. Good finance and marketing programs –pro, good community vibe –con Austin is a great city and I have some good friends living there –pro. Again not a possible area for JB to move to - con, not a great brand name – con.

No comments: