Wednesday, September 24, 2008

GMAT

So quick history, I have always been in an analytically and academically heavy field through undergrad and grad (Yes I already have one grad degree!) and I have been an avid bookworm ( of the fiction type) since I have been a kid, so the math and verbal were not toooo much of an issue for me.

I am not saying I breezed through, but I didn’t struggle beyond having to work hard. I know that this might be an issue for some of you who have never had analytical backgrounds, and people get really worked up about the whole GMAT thing. I have a couple of friends who actually almost lost it during the whole Scoretop scandal since they might have been VIP members. I really think that GMAT is important, but not important enough to change you entire life over. Seconds I think most schools take this one as the least important part of your application.

Having said that I got a 700+ score on my GMAT and damn does it feel good to have that under my belt while apping!

So quick advice from my experience:

Get the Manhattan SC and RC guides, they are very detailed and helpful. Get these in the very beginning since they are also very hard to get through in the last minute (I discovered them very late and I had issues).

Get the Official Guide. It’s Imperative!

Once you are confident about these 2, get the Kaplan 800 books. These are extra practice in Verbal sections and almost as good in Math.

Try finding the 1000 SCs and RCs online. Someone has gone through a lot of effort to put these together and they are an invaluable resource. Some answers are incorrect or incomplete but stick with doing these, find other people discussing the answers on forums and you will get a LOT of extra practice.

Do all online tests / CDs/ practice tests as MANY times as possible. Do these in the time prescribed. As you practice more and more, the timing for each section will improve. I started off completely horrible in Math and even in my final test I guesstimated the last 2 questions or so. Only drilling at it and practicing again and again brought me even somewhat close to finishing in time.

Last but not least, KEEP A NOTE OF YOUR MISTAKES. I cannot tell you how important this is. I went over the same stuff again and again making the same mistakes till someone gave me this advice and I finally wised up. I wasted almost 1 month relearning or redoing my mistakes. Keep a notebook, note your mistakes, periodically review it and apply this info to other questions you see. Always know the broad areas you are weak in, spend more time on them.

And I guess Best of luck, don’t lose your cool, be confident and you KNOW you can do it!

No comments: